Monday, December 12, 2011

Revised Philosophies!

Teaching Philosophy

As a Professional Physical Education teacher I base my philosophy of what I value in education within four major areas. These four beliefs that I have, provide the basis of what I value in education, why I teach and they are the main reasons that I do what I do in my classes. These four main viewpoints that I have are, leadership, cooperation, goal setting and fitness.

Leadership is in my opinion very important, because the students need to be able to have the confidence to lead others when necessary. Furthermore through physical education and participating in different types of games and activities, this allows the students to have a chance to be a leader more often than in other subject areas.

Cooperation is something that I value as an educator because a major part of life is working with others. If students can learn to work together towards a common goal in physical education class, then this can transfer over to other areas of their life and help them be an active and helpful member of a team, no matter what it is they are working one.

When it comes to education, in my teaching I highly value goal setting. Goal setting teaches students to set the bar high for themselves. In addition to setting the bar high creating and reaching goals lets the students see how far they have come, they see that they are improving and learning and it keeps children excited and actively participating in class.

Fitness is something that I value the most in my teaching. I believe that fitness should be incorporated into all of my lessons. No matter what is the main focus of my lesson I believe that it can be taught in a way that works to improve my students fitness, all while they are learning. Being physical fit has not only health benefits, but cognitive benefits as well. Students that are physically fit are more likely to perform better in the classroom as well and in physical education class.

As a professional physical educator I believe that there are four major themes and ideas that frame what I do and what I value in the field. These themes and ideas are, physical education is for everyone, creating lifelong fitness, building confidence and promoting wellness.

Physical education is for everyone. This is something that I think needs to be stressed to not only our students, but to the community as a whole. There is always some type of physical activity that everyone can enjoy, it is just a matter of guiding our students to finding what it is that they enjoy.

Creating lifelong fitness, recommendations state that at least sixty minutes of physical activity on most, if not all days of the week. As a physical educator I believe that it is important that we guide our students towards living a healthy life style for the rest of their lives. As a part of this, and a our role in helping students achieve lifelong fitness is guiding our students towards physical activity that they can enjoy and participate in long after they are out of high school. As a physical educator I need to help my students discover what it is that they are successful at and what they enjoy most, so that they will want to participate in these activities for the rest of their lives. Furthermore, by finding lifetime activities for my students they will be well on their way to meeting the recommendations of at least sixty minutes a day for most if not all days of the week.

Building confidence, confidence is a major part of teaching. Building confidence is one of the most important things we can help our students with. The more confident our students are the more successful they will be. This confidence from being successful in physical education can carry over to other aspects of student’s lives. The most successful people are the ones who have to confidence in themselves and what they are doing, and that is why they succeed.

Promoting wellness within my students is one of my main goals when it comes to my teaching. Wellness is defined as, optimal health and well being. In addition to physical fitness, wellness encompasses the dimensions of emotional, spiritual, interpersonal, social, nutritional and environmental well being. I believe that as a teacher it is my duty to help guide my students into finding what they need to do to have optimal health and well being.



Coaching Philosophy

As a Coach I have many reasons to support my thinking and how I do things on and off the field. I base my coaching philosophy off of four major beliefs that I find very important when it comes to the way that I coach. When put together these four beliefs provide the basis of what I value in a coach, what I do and why I do it. These four main values that I have are, leadership, team work, goal setting and trust.

Leadership is in my opinion very important, because the athletes need to be able to have the confidence to lead others when necessary. Furthermore the development of leadership is important because if an athlete can be a leader on the field, then they can learn to be a leader off the field. Being a good leader also creates good self discipline and high standards for themselves and for others they are working or playing with.

Teamwork is something that I value as a coach because a major part of life is working with others. If an athlete can learn to work together towards a common goal with their teammates, then not only will the team be successful but t this can transfer over to other areas of their life and help them be an active and helpful member of a team, no matter what it is they are working one.

When it comes to coaching, I highly value goal setting. Goal setting teaches athletes to set the bar high for themselves. In addition to setting the bar high creating and reaching goals lets the students see how far they have come, they see that they are improving and learning. Furthermore, with goal setting come self discipline, time management and
as a professional physical educator I believe that there are four major themes and ideas that frame what I do and what I value in the field. These themes and ideas are, effort is always noticed, building confidence and always be prepared.

What I mean when I say that effort is always noticed is that when coaching I believe that yes the best player should play but what should matter more is the effort that my athletes put in. If I have a star athlete that is lazy and doesn’t put in a lot of effort at practice, and I have another player who might not be as good but is close and busts their butt at practice and shows me that they are really trying and really want to play and get better then I am going to choose the effort showing athlete over the star athlete every time.

Building confidence, confidence is a major part of coaching. Building confidence is one of the most important things we can help our athletes with. The more confident our students are the more successful they will be. This confidence from being successful athletics can carry over to other aspects of student’s lives. The most successful people are the ones who have to confidence in themselves and what they are doing, and that is why they succeed.

As a coach not only is it our job to coach and teach our athletes to the best of our abilities, but it is also our job to prepare them for everything we can. By always being prepared I mean we should always have practices planned out, game strategy planned out, and anything else our sport might require us to think about. If we are always prepared then we can help our athletes be ready of any situation on the field. The better prepared we are the more successful we will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment