Sunday, November 20, 2011

We learn through reflections!

I believe that reflecting upon my professional practice is much like my previous answer for my ability to take advice. The ability to reflect and improve is a quality that I think is found in only the best teachers. If a teacher sees that something is not working and they are able to reflect upon what they could have done differently and then make the changes, then they are creating a formula for success. I strive to be a successful and hopefully great teacher. I always take the time to reflect upon each lesson that I am given the opportunity to teach, and write down specifics on my lesson plans about how I could have done things differently so that my lesson will be more successful the next time I teach it. I can honestly say that every one of my lesson plans has comments written all over it with my suggestions to myself on how to improve my teaching. If not to improve, then maybe an alternative action or plans on how to better deliver the lesson so that my students can learn to the best of their abilities.

As an athlete I think that we have a natural ability to reflect upon our performances and find ways to improve for the next time. I know that I have spent my fair share of watching game film of my performances on the volleyball court. If I missed a serve on tape, then I would watch the tape over and over again until I found what step in my basic mechanics was off and make sure to focus on that at the next practice to make sure that I would not make the same mistake again. This can be related to teaching because as a physical education teacher we are watching our students perform various sports related skills and we need to be able to reflect upon what it is our students are doing wrong or what it is that they do not understand so that we can find a better way to deliver feedback so that our students will be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment